Transcripts on Apple Podcasts
Apple embeds accessibility into every aspect of our work, and we are committed to designing the best products and services for everyone. This spring, Apple is introducing transcripts on Apple Podcasts, making it easier for anyone to access podcasts.
How it works
With transcripts, your audience can read the full text of an episode, search the episode for a specific word or phrase, and tap the text to play from that point in the episode. As an episode plays, each word is highlighted, making it easy to follow along. Transcripts can also be accessed from the episode details page. Touch and hold a podcast episode to reveal an option to view a transcript.
Apple automatically generates transcripts after a new episode is published. Your episode will be available for listening right away, and the transcript will be available shortly afterwards. There will be a short delay while we process your transcript. If portions of your episode change with dynamically inserted audio, Apple Podcasts will not display the segments of the audio that have changed since the original transcription. Music lyrics are also not displayed in the transcripts.
Transcripts are available with iOS 17.4 for podcasts in English, French, German, and Spanish with back catalog episodes being added over time. Transcripts can be accessed in over 170 countries and regions.
Transcript settings in Apple Podcasts Connect
When you submit your show to Apple Podcasts, transcripts will be automatically created. If you would like to provide your own transcripts, you can change the transcript setting for your show in the Availability tab on your show page in Apple Podcasts Connect. Contact us if transcripts should not be displayed for your show.
Custom settings for specific episodes
To adjust the transcript settings for an episode:
- In Apple Podcasts Connect, select the episode.
- In the Audio and Transcripts section, select the episode media you’d like to update.
- Click Edit.
- On the Episode Transcript Availability screen, choose “Use a custom setting for this episode.”
- Confirm the transcript setting you’d like to use and click Save.
Download and edit transcripts
Transcripts are available to download in Apple Podcasts Connect. You can make changes to the transcript, and submit it by linking the new file in your RSS feed. Check to see if your hosting provider supports transcripts.
Prepare your show for transcripts
To provide the best experience for your audience, make sure:
- Audio quality is high and meets our requirements.
- Your podcast’s language is set correctly in the RSS feed or in Apple Podcasts Connect. Learn how to update your metadata.
- Your show and episode explicit setting is correct. Transcripts are not displayed for explicit episodes when content restrictions are turned on.
If you’re providing your own transcripts, make sure:
- You’ve provided the correct file type: VTT or SRT.
- Your transcripts are free of spelling and punctuation errors, and include all segments of the episode.
Troubleshoot transcript availability
All transcripts are subject to quality standards. Files that do not meet standards will not be displayed.
If you don’t see a transcript for your episode:
- Check your episode details in Apple Podcasts Connect to confirm if there’s an issue or warning message in the Audio and Transcripts section.
- For new episodes, make sure it’s been at least 24 hours since your episode was published.
- For older episodes, Apple Podcasts will transcribe these over time.
- Make sure your audio quality is high and meets our requirements. Episodes with cross-talk or music may limit the quality of the transcription.